Android eight is presently referred to as Android O. This new iteration of the Android platform is already having fun with the third developer preview and is offered for beta program telephones. Android O has very attention-grabbing tips up its sleeve that promise new ranges of safety, efficiency, and productiveness.
This good individual’s information is a fast approach to rise up to hurry on Android O. We’ll replace this useful resource periodically when information and updates about Android O are launched.
SEE: All of TechRepublic’s good individual’s guides
- What is Android O? Android O is the newest iteration of Android. This launch contains options that shall be essential to bringing machine studying into concentrate on the platform, in addition to attention-grabbing additions that make the cellular ecosystem way more environment friendly.
- Why does Android O matter? AI is the way forward for mobility, and Android O will introduce a subsystem that can assist to speed up neural community options—even bringing a number of the AI elements onto the machine.
- Who does Android O have an effect on? Android O will have an effect on each Android person. As Google is on the forefront of AI, this upcoming launch shall be key to solidifying the platform throughout the realm of machine studying.
- When is Android O accessible? Android O is in its third developer preview launch and can attain the fourth launch close to the tip of June 2017. The full launch of Android O is slated for Q3 2017.
- How do I get Android O? If you will have a supported machine—a Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus Player, Pixel C, Pixel, or Pixel XL—you may enroll it within the Android Beta Program to get an early have a look at Android O.
SEE: The Comprehensive Android Development Course Bundle (TechRepublic Academy)
What is Android O?
Android eight, presently code-named Android O, is ready to take the cellular panorama by storm when it’s lastly launched.
Key to this subsequent implementation of the Android platform is what Google has dubbed Fluid Experiences, which permits customers to maneuver from one app to a different with out interrupting their workflow, enabling a extra productive and environment friendly expertise. For occasion, Picture-in-Picture permits for a lot better multitasking performance.
Another Fluid Experiences characteristic is Notification Dots, which is a quite simple addition to the house display screen and App Drawer that informs customers an motion is offered for a specific app. For occasion, while you obtain a brand new electronic mail, you may see a small dot over the app icon, indicating an energetic notification.
Other notable Android O options embody the next.
- Auto-Fill: This characteristic permits apps to mechanically fill in usernames to make signing into apps and companies extra environment friendly.
- Notification Snoozing: Users can snooze notifications as an alternative of solely dismissing them.
- Better cache information administration: Every app can have a cache information restrict. When the system must unlock reminiscence, it can mechanically delete cached information from apps which have exceeded their restrict.
- Smart Text Selection: This characteristic will use machine studying to acknowledge generally copied phrases (comparable to enterprise names, cellphone numbers, URLs, and many others.) and rapidly copy them with out having to pick every letter or variety of the meant choice.
- TensorFlow Lite: This subsystem will assist apps carry out considerably quicker by the use of on-device machine studying. This scaled-down model of Google’s machine studying software makes use of Long Short-Term Memory (LSTM) to enhance the general expertise.
- Google Play Protect: This is Google’s manner of upping the ante on safety. Beginning with O, Android will embody a real-time safety scanner that can scan all apps that come from the Google Play Store. This new system ought to go an extended approach to shield Android customers from malicious software program and information theft.
- Google Play Console Dashboards: This characteristic is aimed toward builders solely. It will show efficiency points (comparable to battery drain, crashes, interface issues, and many others.) to assist builders resolve issues with their apps. This will significantly profit all Android customers as a result of app issues shall be resolved quicker.
Why does Android O matter?
Android O provides customers probably the most environment friendly, productive, and safe Android platform. That, in and of itself, makes this one of many extra important releases to come back from Google in a while.
With TensorFlow serving to to carry machine studying on to the , Android will take pleasure in unmatched cellular efficiency. And because of Fluid Experiences, customers may also discover that added efficiency improves productiveness. Android O must be one of the vital productivity-friendly releases of the Android platform.
SEE: Ebook—Cybersecurity in an IoT and cellular world (TechRepublic)
To make this launch much more necessary, Google Play Protect will guarantee malicious software program does not make its manner onto gadgets. This new safety characteristic begins on the Google Play Store by scanning apps the second they’re submitted and continues on to the machine, the place apps are scanned in real-time.
Who does Android O have an effect on?
The launch of Android O will have an effect on any person with a appropriate Android machine. The gadgets that shall be prepared for Android O upon the preliminary launch are the Pixel, Pixel XL, and the LG Nexus 5X.
When is Android O accessible?
Android O continues to be in developer preview launch mode and can attain the fourth launch close to the tip of June 2017. The accomplished model of Android O is slated for Q3 2017, with the Pixel, Pixel XL, and the LG Nexus 5X prepped and able to obtain it by way of Over The Air (OTA) replace upon preliminary launch.
Once the ultimate model of Android O is full, will probably be made accessible to carriers, who will then check the platform towards their gadgets in addition to bake in their very own software program. It shall be as much as every provider to launch Android O to buyer gadgets.
Here’s the schedule for when different gadgets will get Android O.
- OnePlus three/3T: December 2017
- HTC 10: 4th Quarter of 2017
- HTC One A9/M9: 4th Quarter of 2017
- HTC Nexus 9: 4th Quarter of 2017
- Samsung Galaxy S8, S8 Plus: March 2018
- Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: November 2017
- Samsung Note 5: November 2017
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S2: November 2017
- LG V20, G6, and G5: 4th Quarter of 2017
- Motorola Moto G5 and G5 Plus: August 2017
- G4 and G4 Plus: September 2017
- Motorola Moto X third Gen: August 2017
- Motorola Moto X Style: August 2017
- Motorola Moto Z Droid: August 2017
- Motorola Moto Z Force Droid: August 2017
- Motorola Moto Z Play: August 2017
- Motorola Moto: August 2017
- Xiaomi Mi5s Plus: December 2017
- Xiaomi Mi 4C/Mi 4S: December 2017
- Xiaomi Redmi Note three: November 2017
- Xiaomi Redmi Note four: January 2018
- Xiaomi Mi Mix: December 2017
- Huawei Mate eight: November 2017
- Huawei Nova: December 2017
- Lenovo ZUK Z1 and Z2: February 2018
- Lenovo Vibe X3: February 2018
How do I get Android O?
The solely approach to get Android O in the meanwhile is to affix the Android Beta Program. The caveat is you will need to have a supported machine: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus Player, Pixel C, Pixel, or Pixel XL.
Beyond the Beta Program, you’ll have to wait till your provider releases the OTA replace in your supported machine. The Android O launch dates above might change as carriers roll in their very own software program and check it on their community and gadgets.