ByteDance, the company behind the popular app TikTok, has announced that it will be shutting down its music streaming service Resso in India at the end of this month. The decision comes as the company shifts its focus to expanding TikTok Music globally.
Despite being one of the last active properties for ByteDance in India, Resso’s closure was expected after the country banned TikTok in 2020. The Resso app has already been removed from both the Play Store and the App Store, according to reports from Moneycontrol.
The streaming service is still active for those who have the app, but it’s not possible to purchase a new subscription.
A spokesperson for Bytedance confirmed the news, stating that the company has no plans to launch TikTok Music in India.
“Unfortunately, owing to local market conditions, we can no longer continue to serve users of Resso in India. We have therefore taken the decision to shut down Resso and its associated operations on January 31st. Users will be offered a refund of their remaining subscription fees.”
Resso first launched in 2020 and had been operating in India, Indonesia, and Brazil. However, ByteDance has since launched TikTok Music in both Indonesia and Brazil, leading to the eventual closure of Resso in September of last year.
In May 2023, ByteDance made Resso a subscription-only service, with the goal of providing “a better user experience for music fans, while increasing opportunities for rightsholders and artists.” But now, with the success of TikTok Music in other markets such as Australia, Singapore, and Mexico, the focus has shifted entirely from Resso.
- ByteDance is shutting down its music streaming service Resso in India at the end of this month
- The decision comes as the company shifts its focus to expand TikTok Music globally
- Resso was one of the last active properties for ByteDance in the country after it was banned in 2020
- The app has been removed from the Play Store and App Store, but is still active for existing users with no new subscriptions being available
- ByteDance has confirmed that it has no plans to launch TikTok Music in India
- Resso was first launched in 2020 and was also operational in Indonesia and Brazil
- ByteDance launched TikTok Music in these markets last July, leading to Resso’s closure there
- In May 2023, Resso became a subscription-only service for a better user experience and increased opportunities for rightsholders and artists
- TikTok Music has already been launched in Australia, Singapore, and Mexico, with plans for more markets in the future